How to Successfully Work from Home?
While some people think working from home is a dream, the reality may be more of a nightmare. As millions of Americans are thrown into telework, they may be having difficulty adjusting to their new reality.
It’s easy to get distracted by that pile of laundry in the corner or your dog begging for a walk. Even at noon, you may find yourself unshowered and pajama-clad. Your professionalism and productivity left at the office.
To be successful at telework, it’s important to create a routine, just as if you were going to the office. Here are a few strategies to keep in mind.
- Create a workspace in your home. Even if you live alone, it important to have a space where you are “at work.” Have a desk or makeshift desk created out of a table and chair. Put everything you need in that space so you don’t have to go searching for essential items throughout the day.
- If you have family members at home, remind them that you are a work, even if they can see you. You’re not available for routine household chores or a lengthy conversation.
- Take breaks from work. Keep up. Clear your head, but set a timer. It’s easy to get caught up binge-watching Nexflix.
- Keep to a schedule. Go to your workspace, take breaks, have lunch and remember to leave at the end of the day.
- Even if you are working from home, it does not mean that you are available 24-7 unless you are in a critical role at work. Turn off your computer and give yourself some down time.
- It’s important to set goals for your day as to what you want to accomplish.
By following these guidelines, you may find that working from home may be your most effective time ever. It’s also a great time to review your professional social media profile. For more information about managing your social media presence, check out my blog at itsallgeek2me.blog.