Know Your Contest Rules: Don’t End Up in Facebook Jail
Your business needs a little push and you think a contest may be just the ticket to get you noticed, Facebook has strict rules concerning contests and violating them could cause your page to be suspended or shut down.
While contests can be fun, it’s best to have a quick review of the rules:
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion (ex: a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including:
- The official rules;
- Offer terms and eligibility requirements (ex: age and residency restrictions); and
- Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered (ex: registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals).
- Personal Timelines and friend connections must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries”, and “tag your friends in this post to enter” are not permitted).
This is the most common violation I see on Facebook. In addition, while you can ask people to like your page, you cannot require it as part of the contest.
For more information about Facebook contest rules, go to:
If you need more help with Facebook or other social media, send me an email: email@example.com.