On Easter, I signed into Messenger to send my daughter a picture of her cat with Easter Stickers. Yes, we are those people. I thought I was sending the message to her, but instead, I posted it to My Day. As a Social Media Marketer, I probably should have already known about My Day on Messenger, but sometimes things are moving so quickly, I get dizzy.
So what is “My Day” with regard to Facebook? Just like on SnapChat and Instagram, if you are familiar with them, My Day is where you post content in Messenger for 24 hours. After that, it disappears. You can post video or photos.
- This feature is only available through your mobile app.
- You can take a picture/video or you can choose one from your library.
- You can add text, filters, stickers, etc.
My Day will not show up in the Newsfeed or on your friend’s timeline.
So how does it work:
- Go into Messenger. You can click on the blue circle at the bottom center of the page or click on the + sign and “Add to your day.”
- At that point you will go into camera, however, if you click on the photo icon in the left hand corner, you will be able to select a video/photo on your phone.
- If you don’t have a photo, but have something you want say, you can click on the palette in the right hand side and proceed on a colored background.
- Then, you have an option to apply stickers, text or drawing. You can save the photo or apply it directly to your day where it will be displayed for 24 hours. You will be able to see which of your friends viewed it.
- In addition, once it is posted, you will see three dots to the right hand side. By clicking in these dots, you can choose to share your post with everyone or customize your audience.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to play with this feature, now is the time. It is something that you could use personally or for your business. At this point, a business can only message customers who have messengered them first, but there is significant opportunity for marketing growth in messenger.
If you are not sure whether or not your business page is set up to accept messages, check out this article: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-use-facebook-messenger-for-your-business/
Facebook is determined to make itself the go to place so that you never have to leave to go SnapChat or some other platform. Its features continue to grow and will only enhance the social media experience for users and marketers.
Do you think you could use this feature in your business? How could you use Facebook Messenger personally? How could you leverage it as a business?
Want more information about social media marketing? Message me on Facebook at @itsallgeek2me or email me at email@example.com.